Do you offer coverage for my items?
Every box and other item is covered for up to £100 both on its way to and from our storage facility and also when inside, provided it’s properly and securely packed. For more information, please see our packing guide (below).
Please note, there are also many items which we don’t provide coverage for. You can find out more about this in Section 3 below.
Here are our top tips for packing your items safely and securely;
- Line your box with bubble wrap.
- Place any delicate items in their own cocoon of bubble wrap for added protection. Remember, we don’t accept items containing or made of glass and although we can accept fragile items (crockery, TVs, etc.), we cannot insure them – so the more layers of bubble wrap the better!
- Put your squishiest items at the bottom and top of the box, and your most precious items in the middle.
- Don’t leave the box with empty space – this can cause your box to be squashed which isn’t good for it – pad out any extra space with bubble wrap.
- …But also be careful not to put more in there than the box is designed for – if you can’t close the lid, then there’s too much in there. And remember that you need to keep the box under 23kgs in weight so we can carry it! A good rule of thumb is, if you can’t lift it easily, neither can we.
- Loop over the bubble wrap from your lining to seal the contents in and its ready for the Door2Door Student Storage team to pick it up
Is there anything you won’t cover?
There are some items we won’t cover:
- Any prohibited items (see Section 4. Is there anything I can’t store )
- Damage caused by the inclusion of liquids, perishable goods or any of the prohibited items listed
- For any goods which have a pre-existing defect or are inherently defective
- Passports, credit or debit cards or important documents (including passports, tenders, share and option certificates)
- Jewellery, watches, trinkets, precious stones or metals, deeds, securities, stamps, coins, or goods or collections of any similar kind
- Fragile items, including crockery, mugs etc., If you are storing fragile items, please make sure they are thoroughly bubble wrapped (multiple layers) and carefully packed to ensure they are safe during transport.
- Electrical Items
- Any item not packed inside one of our boxes.
- Incidental damage or loss.
Is there anything I can’t store?
If you’re using our by-the-box service, we’ll store just about anything. Here’s a list of stuff that you mustn't send in.
- Food and perishable goods including sauces (e.g. soy sauce and ketchup);
- Any liquids or aerosols
- Plastic bags, plastic boxes, bin bags, canvas bags and laundry bags unless these are packed inside cardboard boxes;
- Musical instruments in soft cases;
- Knives and sharp objects not suitably sleeved and wrapped;
- Mirrors or large glass items;
- Birds, fish, animals or any other living creature;
- Explosives, weapons or ammunition;
- Any item which emits fumes, smell or odour;
- Any illegal substances or goods illegally obtained;
- Combustible or flammable materials, liquids or compressed gases, including but not limited to: paint, diesel, petrol, oil, gas, alcohol, artificial fertiliser or cleaning solvents;
- Chemicals, radioactive materials, biological agents;
- Toxic waste, asbestos or other materials of a dangerous nature;
- Any other toxic, flammable or hazardous substance or preparations, classified as such under applicable law;
- Passports, cash, credit or debit cards.
We reserve the right to open your boxes if we suspect that the contents are in breach of our Terms of Service.